The North American Association of Utility Distributors (NAAUD) was founded in the mid-80's. From casual conversation at an industry meeting, five electric utility distributors decided to form an organization that would address the issues facing the industry in which they served. The original intent was to pool resources, eliminate redundancies of effort, and share information, which might enhance the image of the distributor throughout the electric utility industry. In September of 1988, a Certificate of Incorporation was adopted and hence... the birth of NAAUD.
Noteworthy Challenges that are addressed by the organization include:
- Staying abreast of the latest state-of-the-art developments relative to the supply chain for utilities
- Studying how to address changing trends within the industry including alternative energy and the smart grid.
- Staying abreast of changes in Federal regualtions
- Providing a networked solution to deal with Surplus and Obsolete Inventory,
- Development of a Training and Education program, and most importantly
- The NAAUD formalized "Storm Emergency Restoration Program", which gained prominence in the winter storms of '93 and '94.
From these beginnings the organization has grown in strength and numbers each year to provide the best and most comprehensive service possible. In the early '90's, associate members were added. These leading manufacturers have joined with NAAUD to work hand in hand to serve the nation's Electric Utility Industry.
NAAUD members realize that to respond regionally requires national knowledge. Each territory served by a NAAUD member is drawing upon nationwide resources. This access to wide-spread experience, as well as a dedication to the utility industry gives NAAUD members the intense, focused vision necessary to be the finest wholesale distributors in the electric power utility industry.